Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cabbage Roll - Featured in Group Recipes

This recipe is largely adapted from Chef Sam Leong’s recipe. Chef Leong was a Winner of the World Gourmet Summit Awards of Excellence in 2001, 2002 & 2004. In his recipe, he uses pickled snow vegetables (xue cai) but I could not find them in all the supermarkets near my home. So, I replaced it with pickled curry gerkins and use my own ingredients for the roll.  According to my food critic, it has passed the litmus test! However, if I can find xue cai someday, I will definitely do this again. This is a pretty and interesting appetizer.  I like the nutty flavor of the peanuts, with a tinge of sourness from the gerkins and a punch of spicy taste from the thai chilly sauce. I must say it is a great combination of flavors to whet your appetite before the main meal.  Try it!



Servings 4 (1 piece per person)

Ingredients:
4 leaves of Chinese cabbage
4 tbsp ground peanuts
2 tsp mayonnaise
2 pickled curry gerkins, cut into 8 strips 
4 stalks of 4 ins spring onion, white part only
4 slices of carrot
1 tsp Thai chilly sauce
8 thinly sliced red capsicum
4 thin strips of Japanese cucumber

Method:
Blanch cabbage leaves then plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.  Lay cabbage leaves flat and spread mayonnaise and ground peanuts.  Lay 2 pieces of pickled gerkins lengthwise and a stalk of spring onion over and rollup.  Slice off both the ends and cut roll into 2 ins pieces. Brush each piece with Thai chilly sauce. Decorate the plate with Japanese cucumber and sliced red capsicum.  Serve cold.

Note: If you cannot find curry gerkins, you can replace it with any kind of gerkins.

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi navy,
    Thanks for dropping by. Looking forward to share my cooking experience and joy with you. Hope to see you here often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I never would try to make these on my own, but you make it so accessible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda,

    It is very easy to make.. you must try it sometime. It is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love to try this. but what is curry gerkins?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ela,
    Gerkins are a kind of fruits. They look like mini cucumbers. Pickled curry gerkins are usually sold in bottles. If you can't find gerkins, try substituting them with other pickles. Use the idea of this recipe but create your own fillings. If you get the taste right, share the joy with us. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really yummy...thanx for sharing the recipe.will try it soooon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Viji,

    Thanks for your visit. Do drop by now and then to check on my new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yum alright. Well like you trying to source xue cai with no success would be like me trying to source pickled curry gerkins. I've never heard of them before, but would love to try them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!