Sunday, October 17, 2010

Steam chicken breast meat with Char Choy (chinese pickled mustard root)



Char Choy pork is a more common everyday Chinese dish in most Chinese homes.   You will seldom see this dish in the menu of a big Chinese Restaurant.  However it is a common dish in small neighborhood coffee shop style food store.  However, the following recipe is not the common char choy pork but steam chicken breast meat with char choy which my Mum prepared our dinner last night.  It was so good so this deserved to be shared.





Main Ingredients:
1 whole chicken breast, wash, debone and sliced into chunks
½ cup thinly sliced char choy (Chinese pickled mustard root)
3 florets of black fungus “wan yee”
3 tbsp Water dept
3 bibs garlic, thinly sliced
2 stalks of spring onion, sliced 1 ½ ins long per piece

Ingreadients to marinate the chicken meat:
(A)
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp oysters sauce
2 tbsp Chinese wine
½ tsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Method:
Mix chicken meat with A and marinate for 30 mins.  Clean char choy and soaked in warm water for 1 – ½ hrs.  Squeeze all the water and water away thoroughly.  Sliced into strips of about 1 ½ ins long per piece and place into the deep plate.  Wash black fungus and take out the core and break into smaller florets and place into the plate. Add marinated chicken breast meat and sliced garlic. Add water and place into the steamer when the water is boiling and steam for 20 mins.  Garnish with spring onion and serve.






12 comments:

  1. Even though this may be common in Chinese homes, I've never seen it before, and my goodness it looks just delicious! Thank you for sharing. And thank you for your kind words on my blog...they mean a lot to me during this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monet,
    You are most welcome. I will visit your blog often to check on updates on Ryan. He is in my prayers. The next time you see him, give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have to make sure white pepper in in my pantry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda,
    In Chinese cooking, we use white pepper more than black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for dropping by. You have lots of good stuff here, have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lani, very nice of you to pay me visit n thank you for your comment. You too have wonderful week end. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen this before either, but the flavors sound so unique and wonderful. I'll need to find some of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi The Mom Chef,
    Hope you find the ingredients and try this dish out. Do let me know the outcome. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm a farmer who has lots and lots of fresh mustard root (the greens have been eaten by bugs). I'm looking for something to do with them, but all I've found is that you can buy them pickled. Do you (or anyone you know) have a recipe for how to pickle mustard root? Is there anything else you can do with them? I thought maybe they could be roasted? Let me know if you have any ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if I am not mistaken, you first cook the mustard roots water. Squeeze dry and then pickle with salt, hot chilly sauce and garlic and then let it ferment in a pottery jar. I have not roasted a mustard root before but I know we can use preserved mustard root in many ways. We can use them to give a crunchy texture and spicy, strong taste to stir-fried, braised, or simmered dishes and to soups. It is also used in stuffings or may be thinly sliced and served as a cold appetizer.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing. Will try this out....I like char choy but so far only cooked char choy pork. So a new dish on the table for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome Cerlina. Hope you like this dish as much as me and my Quay Lo.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!