Monday, April 18, 2011

Stir-fry Mustard Green with Crabmeat

This used to be a common dish served at Chinese Wedding Dinners but not so much now.  I wonder why. I like the peppery taste of mustard green and crab meat is my favorite. This is not an easy dish to cook. It is rather difficult to get the right consistency for the gravy but then when you get it right, this is very delicious and worth the effort.  I have cooked this twice before. The first time, the gravy was too watery and second time, I could not get a good shot of the dish. Somehow, this is a rather difficult dish to photograph. How about these photos? Are they calling you to try to make this dish? 



Adapted from Red Cook
Ingredients:

12 ozs. (or 3 cups cut) mustard green
6 ozs. cooked crabmeat
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
3/4 cup chicken stock (or water)
2 tablespoon Shaoxing cooking wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water to make slurry

Method:
Cut the leafy portion of mustard green off, and then cut the green stem into approximately 1.5-inch square pieces. Use fresh or refrigerated cooked crabmeat if available. Otherwise canned crabmeat can be substituted. Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok until beginning to smoke. Put the mustard green in the wok and add 1/2 cup of stock or water. Cover the wok and simmer over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Stir the vegetable occasionally to make sure it is evenly cooked. When the vegetable is cooked and tender, but not mushy, remove it from the wok along with all the liquid and put it in a bowl. Set aside. Heat another one tablespoon of vegetable oil in the wok and stir-fry the garlic and ginger for about a minute. Add the crabmeat, cooking wine, salt, pepper and the rest of the stock or water. Cook for another two minutes or so and return the vegetable and its liquid into the wok. Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch slurry. Plate and serve immediately.

Note: To make it even more elegant, garnish the dish with a sprinkle of cooked crab roe.

18 comments:

  1. I wouldnt have thought of pairing mustard green with crabmeat! what a savory treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Kiam Chye but I've not tried eating this way. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous - I love how you played with the colors - even with your utensils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow crabmeat! It's so luxurious but I love how you combined the simplicity of the mustard greens with the indulgence of the crabmeat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, havent had this at chinese wedding dinners beofre but it looks very traditional and authentic dish. I want to tell you that the pictures look very appetisng, to me no problem at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this idea of using the stalks to make the dish! I love mustard green, particularly the stalks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my favourite too, but nowadays, the trend seems to go towards stir fried lotus roots or Loh Hon Jai.

    Try using a small pinch of baking soda to blanch the mustard. The green colour will be retained and the vege will be soft but not mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your dishes which i m not used to see always..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never try this dish before, look delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not eaten mustard green cooked this way before, usually I used it for soup and also to cook leftover roast meat...looks good though...something different:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. look delicious!
    never try it...
    mustard green is it KUA-CAI? also can cook by asam taste?
    YR photo looks very pro....:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my this sounds delightful! I love how you made this..and your pictures ate beautiful too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. flavourful preperation using crabmeat looks good

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never tried having crabmeat with mustard green but it looks amazing! Thanks for inspiring me to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, this looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daphne: I grow up with this dish. Like I said this a common in wedding dinners' menu during my younger days.

    Shirley: This is not Kiam Chye but fresh j Kai Choy. Kiam Chye the preserved version of Kai Choy.

    Belinda: thanks. This dish look so plain so I thought a red spoon will spice it up.

    Trisha: Crab meat is very expensive now but when I was in my 20s, they are not so.

    Lena: I guess you are to young to see this as a common item in a wedding dinner menu.

    Minneville: I like both:D

    Wendy: noted and thanks for the tip.

    Yesim: I am glad you like this dish so will you attempt this soon?

    Sonia, JeannieI am not surprise you have not try this dish cos it is not common nowadays.

    Joelyn: yes this is the vege to cook asam soup with roast pork. Thanks for your compliment on the photos.

    Sandra: glad to share. Thanks for your compliment on the photos.

    torviewtoronto: I am so glad to see your comment. How have you been? Hope all is well.

    Ellie: your comment is very encouraging. Thanks.

    Lisa: this dish is worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great combo, Veronica! I've had mustard greens before many times, but never with crab meat. This sounds like the perfect dish with rice. I'd actually eat this on it's own just as a snack too. Thank you for sharing this unique recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LeQuan, mustard green is a very versatile vegetable. It can be pickled and served as appetizer also.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!