Monday, January 16, 2012

Stop touchin' my balls

I saw this picture on my Quay Lo’s Facebook wall few days ago and here is his message:
“Speaking of the year of the Dragon, it looks like the little warrior Goku san from Dragon Ball fame had better watch out this year.”
But my message to him is this when he left a batch of delicious Swedish Wedding Balls that he made, on the kitchen table:
“Better beware of our little terror, Ranger, our cat. Quay Lo San, you better watch out that if you don’t hide your balls, you will lose them!” Haiyah, this doesn’t sound like a polite sentence but do I have any other better way to say it? LOL!
Ranger will touch anything and everything and make a mess just to satisfy his curiosity. Now, I truly understand why there is this phrase, "curiosity kills the cat". He is now four months older since the day we rescued him from the drain. He is the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in our home. Why do I say that?  Oh yes, it is confirmed that he has split personality. When he is Dr. Jekyll, he wants all the attention you can give him but when he is Mr. Hyde, he will bite the hand that feeds him. He can make me love him to death one minute and get furious with him the next. Go figure! You will understand why I said that after you see his photos which was taken by me and edited by my Quay Lo.





So much about our little terror, and I am sure you are now wondering what the delicious balls look like and some might be interested to make them so here is my Mother-in-law's recipe that was passed down to my Quay Lo. 
Two of my blogger friends, Small Kucing and his family and Cleffairy and her son have tasted these delicious balls. In fact, her son finished them all before his Daddy had a chance to taste one. Then later, Small Kucing told me that they tasted them and they were delicious. I guess it is worth including these balls in your Chinese New Year’s cookie list. Since these balls have so many different names, how about add one more and we call these "Dragon balls" for the Year of the Dragon? There seems to be an open license to call them whatever we wish, to join labels like:
Mexican (or “Swedish” or“Danish”) Wedding Cookies or sometimes called “cakes” as in "Russian Wedding cake")



A Note from my Quay Lo:
"My Mom called these Swedish Wedding Cookies. I think it all depends on what you heard it called first which determines how you personally label these. Many variations exist. What is  clear is that it is a wide spread, basic recipe for an unleavened sweet that keeps well, and accompanies tea and/or coffee very well."


Added post pub: Wikipedia suggests these pastries are related to recipes that appeared as early as the 17th century for a pastry called "Jumble",  and were popular for their simplicity, taste, and the ability to store them for up to a year. Originating either in Italy or the Middle East the "cake" called for almonds instead of the pecans introduced in the Northern hemisphere. Other variations called for favoring with aniseed, carraway, rosewater, and other flavoring spices offering a large potential for experimentation. The common element in most of these recipes is the ratio of  shortening to flour, the use of nuts and/or nut flours, and the omission of leavening agents. Wikipedia also notes the variety of names under which the various recipes are found, and in particular, their appearance in wedding celebrations.

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for coating baked cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting hands
1 cup pecans, chopped into very small pieces

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line cookies sheets with parchment paper.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at low speed until it is smooth. Beat in the vanilla. At low speed gradually add the flour. Mix in the pecans with a spatula. With floured hands, take out about 1 tablespoon of dough and shape into a crescent or roll in a ball. Continue to dust hands with flour as you make more cookies. Place onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle but still warm, roll in additional confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks

41 comments:

  1. Ranger looks like a very smart little fellow and i think he's very lucky to be rescued by such a wonderful family, youtr husband did a wonderful job of narrating the photos.Perfect!
    We call these cookies Russian tea cakes, I don't kbnow why and I suppose we probably got this wrong, but we have been calling them this for years, they are very good, our recipe is the same as yours.Thankyou for sharing such a fun post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make the ball into orange colour, den it will be really dragonballs. OMG, I love Dragonballs... and I'm still hooked to it. Dragonball is now celebrating 20 years anniversary, and they are remastering the cartoon.The remastered version is known as Dragonball Z Kai. LOL! Can't believe time flies so fast! I used to watch it when I was a kid, and now I'm letting my son watch it! LOL.

    I love cats. I would love to meet Ranger one day. I have a cat at home too. Her name is Meow Meow and she's spoiled rotten. I wonder what kind of food you feed ranger? Kibbles? Wet food or whatever you can cook up from the kitchen? Ranger is gorgeous!

    ps: Thanks again for the wedding balls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ranger has a pair of very beautiful and attractive cat eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh.. so these are those that you will be bringing..
    Can last that long or not? Habis oredi lor, still got so long to go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait... are you saying Ranger is attracted to the balls too? I thought I'm the only one :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, i swear you come up withthe most interesting titles. Can't wait to try them balls....ooops, did that come out right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cookies with nutty pecan, I am sure ,these crunchy cookies are good for new year too !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the title :)) This recipe sounds yummy, will give it a try. Love your cat. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the most titillating titles on your blog posts! LOL!!
    Ranger has certainly grown up to be a handsome cat. I can't get over the look on your Quay Lo's face in the 2nd pic! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a homey scene!



    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title and the illustration had me in stitches!

    The recipe seems easy enough to replicate. I supposed I can play around with different nuts for the balls. Love hazelnuts more than pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god, you totally made me nostalgic about Dragon Ball Z!!! I grew up watching and reading comics and one of my favorite show!

    Anyway I enjoyed reading this fun post and this sweet sounds like really delicious although I had never had one before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder what those balls taste like. I've had kueh makmur...or ghee balls before - very common these days. When they first appeared, they were a hit and very popular. I think it has since lost its appeal...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post and recipe. I haven't seen this before, sort of like a shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really laughed when you said it's your Quay Lo Balls the other day . Ya..love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It appears Ranger is doing a good job of keeping his humans in line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So who's the boss then ? Way to go , Ranger ! hahaha I love to have some of your yummy BALLS :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this recipe! My grandmother called them Mexican Wedding Cookies. How fun that they are Swedish as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have seen these balls circulating in the blogs, looks like I will have to add another cookie to my to do list! If so many are making these they must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL Those kitty pictures are adorable!! Swedish cookies? I dated a Swede for a few months and I never got a cookie like that ;) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your title alone made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I have replied you but it is not recorded! the title made me laugh too when I first saw it on my Quay Lo FB wall.

      Delete
  22. LOL. Catchy title. Not a fan of cats but your cat really looks michievous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I WAS not a fan of cats but now I love my Ranger to bits and it is because he is mischievous that makes him even more lovable. He brings us lots of laughter for the silly things he did.

      Delete
  23. aww what a lovely cat XD

    sorry and I dun think it is very late to wish you
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    HAPPY NEW YEAR LOL :X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute Ranger!! Happy Chinese New Year! You must be busy with all those bakings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny post and I love your kitty! We call these cookies russian tea cakes! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Quay Po, I want to take this chance to wish you & your family a Happy Year of Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. so funny and cute!! I have a black cat too :>

    Such lovely cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @laurie
    Ranger is very smart:D I don't think you are wrong to call the balls Russian tea cakes. They have many names:D

    @cleffairy
    Next time I make the balls for you, I will make them in orange. MeowMeow is a pretty cat. Oh we feed ranger dried cat food. The brand is ACANA. I think 3kg pack is RM74.00. Ranger's food is more expensive then Ruby's food.

    @Sheoh Yan
    Yes he does, they are green in color. He is green eye monster. hehehe.

    @Wendy
    Yes, I will be bringing those balls with me.. Will be making fresh ones lah. This batch finished already.

    @Baby Sumo
    You can, but in exchange for a hug from your kiddie. When shall I send them to you? LOL!

    @Yvonne
    hahaha, you are?

    @Sharon
    Yes, it is absolutely right. You can try my balls if you come for the CNY meet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Yan
    Definitely:D

    @Diane
    Thanks Diane.

    @ping
    Ya, that expression on my Quay Lo face is worth a million dollars! hehe

    @Cloudia
    Thanks Cloudia

    @missyblurkit
    hahaha, you can surely play with nuts and balls, have fun!

    @Nami
    That shows how young you are my dear.

    @suituapui
    No worries, I try to bring some balls with me when I come to Sibu.

    @Three-Cookies
    Now that you mention shortbread, ya quite close.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Small Kucing
    Hahaha, you dirty minded lore.

    @Lois
    Yes he is the BOSS! LOL!

    @Anne
    Ranger is the Boss for sure. If only those balls can pass thru custom, I would love to send you a box.

    @Mary
    These balls have so many names. Now they have a new one. Dragon balls:D

    @Jeannie
    Do add this one. So easy to do and so good.

    @Jax
    Well, you already had a walking Swedish cookie for months, don't you know that? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Filip
    hehe, I am sure you are not the only one to find this title funny.

    @yummychunklet
    Yes, when I saw that picture on my Quay Lo's wall, I laughed too.

    @Carolyn
    I was not a fan of cats too but now I love my Ranger.

    @Kian Fai
    Thanks. It is better late than never:D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice balls I can see why you'd want to protect them ...Hehe!

    Your cat is so funny, I love all the different expresions.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cheeky Ranger! But then again, I don't blame ranger since ranger would want all the good food from the kitchen!!

    I had these once and loved it, and now I know how they are being made!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Lyndsey
    I have too, they are my Quay Lo's balls!! LOL!

    @Daphne
    Yes, Ranger is really one kind. Even if he does not eat the food, he wants to know what they are. So you now can go made these delicious balls yourself anytime you crave to have some:D

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow...your cat is like a mini black panther!

    ReplyDelete
  36. aah...now i can get a preview of your balls..oops..i mean cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  37. @mHnL
    haha, my mum said the same thing as you:D

    @lena
    hahaha, lena, it is okay to balls!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!